Monday, August 8, 2016

If you presented a slideshow about an author's life... Name the author you researched. Describe how you feel about the process and product. (minimum 200 words)

 If you are willing, post a link to the slideshow.

9 comments:

  1. As I was writing the slide show about Sandra Cisneros I had trouble figuring out what to put on each slide, and cover topics that were controversial and important to her. When I began putting the slides together I thought about what topics were discussed in The House on Mango Street. I wanted to talk about the issues in the book that I thought had not been discussed, and were important. Once that I had figured out how to include that, and open a discussion through the slides. It became easier to write the rest of the slide show. The basic background information was not hard to find, and most of it was on her personal website. Once the slide show was done, I then went and talked to Ms.Silver about what changes I should make and if my presentation was clear. I found it incredibly helpful, and it felt like my presentation was polished and ready after that. When I began to present the slide show to the class I was incredibly nervous, but I thought that it went quite well. I feel like when I asked the class different questions they were apprehensive at first but once people started answering it became fine. I feel like the overall presentation went quite well, and I felt like I had the perfect amount of information to talk about. I think that overall the presentation went really well, and it was a fun way to learn about and author.


    Link:https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1yna-tdlnClsNo1Bl0KkDT4L0Q3RXUXg9bgp787qrTyE/edit#slide=id.p

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When you presented in class on Friday, I found the work you did to be an interesting telling of the story of her life. I think you were able to do this by using her work as a base, and then building off of that. One thing I thought you did very well was the aesthetics of your presentation, and how each slide was designed without too much text, which is a good way to get people to pay attention. You then filled in the gaps with your notecards, and your presentation was well rehearsed. Another thing I thought you did well is that you gave some good links to find out more about her life if we wanted to. I like how you expanded on some of the issues discussed in The House on Mango Street, and related them back to Sandra Cisneros' life. One of the issues you discussed in a lot of detail was sexual harassment, which comes up in the story a lot. Nice job!

      Delete
    2. When you presented in class I liked how you talked about where she went to college at what kinds of degrees that she got. It was interesting to me to hear this because when people research an author or some other public figure, they don't seem to add what kind of education the figure has. I also liked how you ended some of the slides with a quote from Sandra Cisneros. I thought you did a good job talking about the topics that she writes about in her books. It was nice to hear about her website and how she share the books that she likes to read. Her website is something that I might look up. Good job presenting.

      Delete
  2. This Tuesday (the 24th) I presented about the life and works of William Shakespeare. Due to Shakespeare being such a famous playwright and poet I found it quite easy to find information on him. It was,however, surprising how little detail there is about his life (details of his childhood and such). I suppose this makes sense, he never wrote about his own life so there are not really any first hand records. I really enjoyed to process of this project. Shakespeare was such an influential artist, his works are still very present even after 400+ years. Learning about the man behind the iconic plays such as “Romeo and Juliet” and “Hamlet” was really interesting. When I first made my presentation I put all my information on the slides. This means I would have to read directly off of the slides. I changed it so that there were only key words or prompters and put all the information on a note sheet. I feel like it worked really well because I able to look up and toward the audience when I was speaking. I wan't really that nervous when I presented, I never really am. I did feel like I talked really fast (this is something I am prone to doing). Otherwise I really enjoyed doing the project as well as teaching classmates about what I learned.

    ReplyDelete
  3. For my slideshow, I researched the life of J.D. Salinger. There were many good sources with a lot of information on him. I chose 10 sections of his life that I thought would be the most interesting, and researched them. The most interesting part of the research was seeing the similarities between Salinger and Holden Caulfield as I was researching. Understanding Salinger, and Holden’s shared characteristics made me think about the book differently, and it was very interesting. Because of this mainly, I really enjoyed this project. I also went and looked at some of his other major pieces in the New Yorker, which was also interesting. They were just short stories, but in characters in them, I could see bits of Salinger. I made my slideshow by writing all the information on a Google Doc, and then getting the important points down on the slides afterwards. I think this was the most efficient way to gather information, but the best part of making slideshows is putting the slides together. Overall, I think the presentation went well, but I looked down at my paper most of the time, and as I was presenting I noticed how many repetitions I had, which made my slideshow feel weaker. Overall, I enjoyed researching and presenting my slideshow because Salinger was an interesting man, his similarities to his characters is interesting, and I find it fun to show off my work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For the most part, I thought your slideshow went well. I don’t remember noticing many repetitions, but I agree with you that it would have been more effective if you had projected more confidence by looking at your notes less during your presentation. From watching you do research and from your presentation, it looked like you were enjoying learning more about Salinger because of how interesting he was. I agree with you that the parallels between Salinger and Holden were fascinating. Catcher in the Rye was not my favorite book, but understanding how like Salinger Holden is, I find makes the book, and the character, much more interesting. For me, the most interesting fact was Salinger’s mental state, and how he was institutionalized during his life. Your process in compiling the slideshow appeared effective because it allowed you to have all of your notes in one place.

      Delete
  4. I presented a slideshow on John Steinbeck. I started working on it about a week ago, but didn’t get much done. I ended up doing most of the research the night before it was due. I didn’t have many opportunities to work on it beforehand, and it didn’t end up too badly, but I would have liked to have worked on it more in advance. While researching, I did not find it too hard to find sources. It turns out there’s a whole website and museum devoted to him. I started by creating a slideshow and a document which I used to keep my notes on. Whenever I used a new source, I added its citation to my Works Cited, then took all the useful bits of information I found on it, then typed them up on my notes sheet. I divided the slides in a way that I thought kept different subjects of his life organized. I created slides as I found information, but I didn’t put them together until after I had collected all of my information. I then only put phrases on the slides to remind me what I was planning on talking about, and used my notes to know exactly what to say. Today, presenting in front of the class I realized that I should have practiced more, but because of when I completed the sideshow that might have been difficult. I thought as a whole, the slideshow went pretty well, but as I performed it, it felt quite short. I enjoyed researching Steinbeck because of his fame and because of the moral of Of Mice and Men. One thing I was surprised by was how controversial his writing was.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Casey, You dis such a great job presenting in class. You spoke in a very clear fashion. It was not too fast or too slow and each word was easy to understand. I really liked the slides you made. All of the pictures were entertaining but not distracting. In other words they did not take away from the actual content of the presentation. I also liked how you did not read directly from the slides but rather a paper. This allowed you to look up and out to the audience (which you did nicely)
      I always find it interesting to learn about the lives of famous authors. Often you get to know them better though their literature than you know.

      Delete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete