Monday, August 8, 2016

The Chosen (Ch 5-12) due Sun, Feb 11 by 8pm

Quote 2 particular lines or passages from within Chap 5-12: one that feels imp’t to the text and one that feels imp’t to you, and explain why they feel imp’t. End your post w/ a question. (Note page #s.) Skip a line between paragraphs, since you cannot indent on the blog. 

Also, reply to at least one student's post.

20 comments:

  1. One passage that felt important to the text was the part where Reuven calls out a wrong in Reb Saunders gematriya. "'The gematriya for "prozdor" is five hundred and three, not five hundred and thirteen,' I answered. 'Good. Very good...'"(134). I find this part important because Reuven proves to Reb Saunders that he is not an apikoros. By doing this, Reb Saunders allows him to become Danny's friend, and Reuven also feels accepted by the other Hasidic Jews in the synagogue.

    One passage that felt important so to me was during the conversation between Reuven and Reb Saunders about Danny's reading. "'You will not make a goy out of my son?'"(159). This is the moment when Reb Saunders realizes that he can no longer control his son and he needs to let Danny be himself. I feel that this is important to me because I understand parents letting their kids do what they want, and letting them be themselves.

    Why does everyone in the book seem to get sick a lot?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think everyone getting sick in these chapters is symbolizing and connecting to all the awful things that had just occurred at that time. Millions of their people had been murdered and there beloved President who they had so much trust in has died. While everyone is getting more sick, the world seems to be getting worse and worse.

      Delete
    2. I feel it was definitely important that Reuven noticed the mistake. This allows him to be included into the studies as well. This allows Reb Saunders to see him as a equal to Danny opposed to below Danny. I think people are getting sick a lot when anything bad happens. It seems to be the way the Author connects the outside world into the book.

      Delete
  2. A moment that was important to the book was after the war has ended and everyone has finally found out how many Jews have been massacred. Reuven is at Danny’s house, and Reb says “The world kills us. Ah, how the world kills us.” I think was an extremely pivotal moment because it captures the essence of just how destroyed Jews were during this time in history. They did not feel safe anymore and there was a newfound hatred toward the world from them. You also can really tell how ruined and upset Reb is, as a tzaddik and being a very important role in Jewish society, and how insulted he feels.

    A particular moment that felt important to me is after everyone has heard the news of President Franklin D. Roosevelt’s death. Reuven is on the trolley and everyone is completely silent and the depression is palpable, and then Reuven begins to cry. I think this is a very important moment because the sadness and sorrow of this time period can be felt while reading this. I have more of an idea of the state the people were in at this time rather than just a textbook telling me that President Roosevelt had died and everyone was devastated at that time. I think it is also important because you can see how much hope people had and how much they relied of President Roosevelt.

    Why do you think Reuven’s father is so concerned with rebuilding Jewry in America?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think this moment is important too because all along we have known the book took place in World War II, and we knew they were Jews, but there was not anything really said about how they felt about the Holocaust. Here you can finally see Reb’s reaction, and it feels like everyone feels like that. They feel defeated, and disappointed that this happened, and so many people were killed.

      I, also, found the part where everyone was crying over the death of Franklin D. Roosevelt meaningful. Everyone has independent lives, and many disagree about how to live them, such as the difference between the Hasidic Jews, and non-Hasidic Jews, but here, there is a unity between all the people. People let go of their differences because FDR was so important to all of them, and they all shared this grief.

      I think that Reuven’s father is concerned about rebuilding American Jewry because European Jewry has been destroyed, and Europe had a lot of Jews, and so Jewry needs a new hub. He also thinks that many Jews will be scared, and some group needs to settle them down. Also, many Jews may leave Europe, and they need a safe place to stay.

      Delete
  3. I think you are correct in your take on how the world has killed Jews in the past, because of their religion. Even before the Holocaust, Jews were victims of genocide mainly by Christians, but also even before Jesus. Reb Saunders must be distraught over the death of six million Jews, especially because of his leadership role.

    When hearing about the death of Roosevelt, I am reminded of the book Unbroken. As prisoners-of-war in Japan, they are deeply saddened by the death of their president. He was a symbol of hope to the country, especially because he had be president for so long and because Truman had no experience in politics.

    I think Reuven's father wants to rebuild the Jewish community in America, because it was one of the few places where Jews were not affected physically by the Holocaust. He wants to keep his religion going, especially because there are few Jews left in the world.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The quote from the book that seemed the most important to the book was when Danny started by describing being trapped, “‘It’s the most hellish, choking, constricting feeling in the world. I scream with every bone in my body to get out of it. My mind cries to get out of it. But I can’t. Not now. One day I will, though. I’ll want you around on that day, friend. I’ll need you around on that day’” (202). I think this is important because Danny really doesn’t want to be rabbi, but he loves his father. He can’t let him down. He has now figured out a way to get out of it. His father would not be overly disappointed if his brother became a rabbi instead of Danny because it would keep the lineage. In this line, he not only shows the relief he feels that he doesn’t have to be rabbi, but the importance of Reuven’s friendship. Danny is terrified of his father’s rath, but it won’t be as bad if Reuven is there supporting him. Danny knows his father is not going to forgive him for abandoning his goal at rabbi, so he needs support.

    The quote I found most important to me was “‘Master of the Universe,’ he almost chanted. ‘You gave me a brilliant son, and I have thanked you for him a million times. But you had to make him so brilliant’” (167). I thought this was funny, but I am not sure it was supposed to be. All this time we have seen a difficult relationship between Reb Saunders and Danny. Danny resects Reb, even loves him, but is clearly a bit scared of him. Also, they have different views on religion, and Reb Saunders’ feelings for Danny are only seen as proud. I found this quote important because the reader finally sees Reb Saunders’s love for his son. He cares for his son, and wants what is best for him, but he thinks that is becoming rabbi.

    My question is, is there more to Danny’s sadness then being forced to do something he doesn’t want to?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In the beginning of the book Reb Saunders does not talk to Danny a lot, and for a child that could have psychological damage and cause sadness. With his father not talking to him and being forced into a life he does not want he could be really sad. I know I would be incredibly sad, and it is not an emotion that can be turned on and off like a switch.

      Delete
  5. The part in these chapters that I feel is going to be the most important to the story takes place at the end of chapter 12 when Reuven is talking with Danny about his father. Danny does not want to be trapped in his father’s role in the world and he says, “And I pity him, too. Intellectually, he’s trapped. He was born trapped. I don’t ever want to by trapped the way he’s trapped. I want to be able to breathe, to think what I want to think, to say the things I want to say” (191). I believe that this book is going to end up being about how Danny deals with Hasidism and his inherited position. He has already showed his feelings toward becoming a rabbi, but in making this statement, Danny admits to Reuven that he cannot live the way his father does because it goes against his nature.

    One part of the text that was important to me was when Reuven and his father learned about the Holocaust. “His face was grim and ashen. He seemed unable to believe what he was reading” (180). This was one of the largest massacres in history, and it is hard to imagine the impact it had on the world when it was first discovered. Especially to Jews around the world, discovering the near death of their religion in Europe. Reading the reaction of Reuven’s father, first unbelieving and then horrified gave me a different perspective. Learning about it you hear the numbers, but the Holocaust affected so many people worldwide.

    Do you think Danny will be able to escape the position of rabbi he seems destined to inherit?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found that passage important to the book too. Danny is explaining to Reuven how he admires and respects his father but he knows how his father is trapped and he doesn't want to be trapped too. He just wants to be free to do and say what he wants and when he wants. I agree that the book will probably end up being about Danny dealing with Hasidism and having to take his father’s position as rabbi.
      I think that Danny will try to find a way to escape becoming rabbi. He seems to have thought a lot about how he could and he talks about how maybe his brother could take his fathers place instead of him. I think that in the end he will somehow find a way to get out of taking his fathers place and I think it will be by having his brother become rabbi.

      Delete
  6. The quote I found important to me was about Billy. "'I'm afraid not. The surgery was not successful.' I felt myself break out into a cold sweat. The hand holding the phone began to tremble and I had to push the phone against my face to keep it steady." Reuven had connected to Billy and had wanted the operation to work for him because the was sad that someone so nice and kind was not able to see. Reuven knew that it was not Billy's fault that he was blind it was a tragedy. There was nothing Reuven could do to save Billy. After Reuven's Conversation with Billy's father he saved the fly from the spider. In a way I feel Reuven saw Billy as the fly and wanted to save him.

    A quote I though that is important to the book is when Reuvens father is explaining Danny. "Is it so strange, then, that he is breaking his father's rules and reading forbidden books? He can not help himself." I think at this point Reuven realizes that Danny is just really curious wanting to learn. This showed Reuven that he was breaking his fathers law because he just really wants to learn more. This is an important piece for Reuven to start to understand Danny. What do you think would happen if Reuvens father did not tell this to Reuven?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I too felt that the scene where Reuven learns that Billy’s surgery was not successful was important to Reuven. They had become friends over the week Reuven spent in the hospital and they both wished the best for each others recoveries, but Billy’s surgery did not help with his blindness. The way Billy’s father discussed the surgery and because he told Reuven they were moving makes me wonder if there were any bad repercussions from the attempted surgery. I did not make the connection between Billy and the fly, but when you bring it up it makes sense. He is saving the fly in a way he could not save Billy.

      I did not feel this quote about why Danny reads was as important. I feel that Reuven would have been able to figure out that Danny had a craving for learning. Danny would not be so enthusiastic about what he reads if he is just reading to disobey his father. I think the scene when Reuven starts to understand Danny much better is when he witnesses Danny’s relationship with his father.

      Delete
  7. One passage that I thought was important to the text was when Danny and Reuven were talking about Danny's dad at the end of chapter twelve. “‘You want to know how I feel about my father? I admire him. I don't know what he's trying to do to me with this weird silence that he's established between us, but I admire him. I think he's a great man. I respect him and trust him completely, which is why I think I can live with his silence,’” (201). I think it's important because Reuven doesn't understand Danny and Rebs relationship. During this passage Danny is explaining to Danny why he accepts his fathers silence and why he still admires him and looks up to him. I think that it's important for Reuven to understand Danny and Rebs relationship because it is completely different from Reuven and his father’s relationship.

    One passage that is important to me is when Reuven tried to call Billy. “My father left right after lunch, and I went over to the telephone to call Billy. I found his father’s name in the phone book and dialed the number,” (172). After Reuven dialed the number, Billy's father picked up. He told Reuven that Billy was gone and his surgery wasn't successful and the news upset Reuven a lot. This is important to me because I know what it's like to be think that something went great when it really didn't and to be upset about it. I also know what it feels like to think about it after and to be upset and disappointed about something not going the way I wanted it to.

    Why does Danny refuse to talk about his sister?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought that Danny refusing to talk about his sister was really strange. It was obvious that they had a decent relationship (it was not a bad relationship) then why did he not want to talk about her? Did it have to do with her being promised off? Maybe he was being protective of her. But I don’t think that Reuven liked her in that way. It was all very strange and I hope we find out more later in the book.

      Delete
  8. One important part to the text was Reuven’s realization on how close Danny and he had lived to each other their entire lives and how close they are in age. “We discovered that we had been born in the same year, two days apart. “You’ve been living five blocks away from me all these years, and I never knew who you were,” I said”. (116) This is important because it is the moment Reuven and Danny realize how similar they really are. At first I bet they thought they had nothing in common except for their religion, but they came to see that they were very much alike even though they live different lives.

    An important part to me is when after his father’s heart attack Reuven is asked to live with Danny and his family and how they except him and his differences. “I was a warmly accepted member of Danny’s family.” (193) I didn't realize how close Danny and Reuven were until he and his family Had him live with them. It shows how their friendship not only affected them but their families too.

    The first section of the book passed with in one week but the second section was more than a year. Why did time pass so much slower in the second portion of the book?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree that these are both important parts, I think it’s really eye opening to see how close they were yet far apart at the same time, and then these two become so close after that ball game. These things really go to show that one part in your life will always lead to another. I’m not exactly sure why the time pattern changes, I didn’t even really make that connection. Maybe the beginning passed like that to show importance to a very specific moment.

      Delete
    2. I agree that Reuven and Danny talking about how similar they are is important to the story, because it shows that they are still getting to know each other. This section helps the readers know the characters and shows what kind of friendship is forming between them.

      I think that the second half of the book covers more time to show how Danny and Reuven stay friends for a long time after they first met. I also think that it is to skip the parts that are not important to the storyline. I think that the first part covered less time so that the author could describe how Danny and Reuven became friends and how their friendship developed.

      Delete
  9. One part that I found particularly important was on page 138 after Danny’s father gave the message and asked Danny about any mistakes, and Danny only points out one mistake because he wasn’t listening the whole time.
    “Absolutely nothing more to say?” Reb Saunders insisted, his voice flat, cold, distant. He was no longer smiling. I saw Danny’s body go rigid again, as it had done before his father began to speak.”
    I feel that this quote is important to the text because you can really see another side of Reuven, a less powerful side. You can really tell that Reuven and his father have a much better relationship than Danny and his father. Danny seems almost scared of his father, or hopeless around him and he doesn’t want to let him down I feel, but he does.

    One part that feels important to me is on page 201-202 when Danny and Reuven are talking about their family’s. Danny tells Reuven about his father about his father.
    “You want to know how I feel about my father? I admire him. I don’t know what he’s trying to do to me with this weird silence that he’s established between us, but I admire him.”
    This is important the me, and the text, because Danny really shows desire for a better relationship with his father and he’s open about that to Reuven. I find it quite funny because in the beginning of the book you would never think Danny would be sitting there with Reuven opening up about his struggles.

    Why do you think Danny doesn’t want to talk about his sister? Maybe she’s sick, or has done something bad to Danny?

    ReplyDelete
  10. A section that felt important to the text was when Danny and Reuven were in the library and talking about Danny's brother. Danny talks about how his brother could become the next tzaddik instead of him. "It occurred to me recently that if I didn't take my father's place I wouldn't be breaking the dynasty after all." (190) This section is important because you find out that Danny doesn't want to become the next tzaddik. When Danny's father learns about this, it will probably change Reuven and Danny's friendship. their friendship will change because Danny's is counting on Reuven for support.

    An important passage to me was when Reuven's father had a heart attack, and moved in with Danny's family. "Then Reb Saunders called me one night and invited me to live in his house while my father recovered." (182) this section is important for me because it shows that Reb Saunders in his own way cares for Reuven. It also shows me how Danny and Reuven have become very close over the course of the book so far.

    When Reuven is going to Danny's neighborhood for the first time he explains how it is not as well kept as his neighborhood. Why is there a difference in how the different neighborhoods are kept?

    ReplyDelete
  11. There is not a specific part that stands out to me, but a section is when Danny is describing a story that has to do with his father on page 114. He started talking about how his father and bringing them to America. I think that this conversation will help bring the boys closer than ever before. Do you think it will?

    A part that feels important to me is when Reuven's father is explaining Danny's family's history to Reuven in a story on page 97. I think this is important because it also lines up with Danny's story about his father. I think that this is not only an important part for Danny and Reuven, but also Reuven and his father. Do you think it will be important?

    ReplyDelete