Monday, August 8, 2016

If you attended a local lecture or performance...

Identify the title, setting, and date of the lecture/performance. Describe the experience and what it was like for you. What did it make you think about? (minimum 250 words)

7 comments:

  1. I attended a Dartmouth performance on Sunday, February 25, 2018 of a play based off of the novel 1984, by George Orwell. It was set in 1984 but it was written in 1949, so it was set in the future. It is set in London, in a nation called Oceania. Everyone is watched by an organization called “Big Brother”, and their main goal was to have total control over people’s lives. The main characters were Winston Smith and a woman named Julia, who are having an affair. The “Party” is a large group of people that support Big Brother and the brotherhood is a group that opposes Big Brother. Julia and Winston are both against the Party and try to join the Brotherhood, but end up getting caught and separated.

    During the performance I was really confused about what was going on. I hadn’t read the book and my mom didn’t explain to me what the play was about. I didn’t really understand the play until my brother explained it to me after. I also read a summary on the book which made me understand it more. I thought the performance was really good. In the beginning they were doing this radio broadcast and I was a little bored during that but when they started to perform actual scenes it was more interesting. One part of the play that I found super interesting and a bit extreme was when Winston was in a glass chamber and he was getting tortured. It was kind of hard to watch even though I knew he wasn’t actually getting tortured. At the end of the play they had a recording of stuff that Donald Trump has said. I thought this was really cool but scary. They were comparing 1984 to 2018 and I thought that was very interesting. There were so many similarities and I found that a bit frightening.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For my choice reading book, I am reading 1984. It is interesting to hear what happened in the play because the basic plot of the book is similar. So far in the book, Winston acquired a diary and started writing in it as a revolt against the party. He then discovered Julia was also against the party and started having an affair with her. Winston and Julia just recently joined the Brotherhood, and now Winston is reading the book about the Party written by Emmanuel Goldstein. In the book, Julia and Winston have not yet been caught. I understand how the plot could be confusing if you had not first read the book. It is complex and you need to know the fake history of a different world. So far, my favorite part of the book is the beginning, when Winston first commits “treason” by writing in his journal. While reading 1984, I notice similarities and differences to today. Some things, like being constantly watched by technology, are scarily similar to today, but because of the similarities, I notice the differences. One main difference is that in 1984 the Party completely rewrites history very often. Being able to see differences like these are relieving.

      Delete
  2. I went to Dartmouth’s Production of 1984. The play is set in 1984, but since it was written in 1949, it’s in a future world. The play, based off the book, is about people living a future world where their every move is watched by the government, or “Big Brother”. The setting is in London in the nation of Oceania. The main characters, Winston and Julia, start a relationship where they confide in each other and talk about how against “The Party”, those who support the government and what it stands for. The government finds out Julia and Winston’s opposition to them, and they are both abducted and tortured.
    For me, this play was very confusing, but quite interesting. I had heard a little bit about the story back in eighth grade, but I did not know much about. As the play went on, I understood it more. I could feel the intensity as the play went on, and I did not know what was going happen since I have never read the book, but I sensed something significant was going to happen. That moment came, when Julia and Winston were abducted, and it really intrigued me, and at that point, I became very engrossed in the performance. It was hard to follow, as I did not know a lot about it, but afterwards my dad explained the book to me, and I understood it a lot more and found it more interesting. I think the whole idea of the book is brilliant, because first, it gets people thinking that it possibly happen to the world, and second, it is such an exciting story and has so much creative thought. It definitely left me thinking about if the world ever succumbed to that point, and scared me a little bit. It also made me think about what inspired George Orwell to write about something like this and create this crazy future world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it would have been really fun to go to a performance of 1984. I just finished reading it for class, and the play sounds very similar. In the book, at first, I was not sure about Julia or O’Brien’s roles, and I want to know how they showed some things that were important in the book, such as Winston’s diary. Was O’Brien a main character? There are some parts of the book that were a bit confusing, but just because that was how they were supposed to be for the plot. I can imagine it being a bit difficult to follow if you haven’t read the book. It is interesting because I feel like most of the book was an inner dialogue. Is the set very simple. Without seeing the play, but with reading the book, that is what I would do. I really liked the book, but I think a play would be a fun interpretation of it.

      Delete
    2. George Orwell, when writing 1984, was scared about what could happen if we were not careful with the weapons we owned. In 2018, we have a president who has said things like, "We should bomb the (blank) out of them" and "I like war." Although George Orwell was off as far as the year goes, his dystopian prediction may come true in the future, and we must try to stop that from happening. Reading the book 1984 made me feel scared about the future, because the end of Winston's small rebellion showed that the Party would go on forever. We should all be scared about the future, and make sure our civil rights stay protected.

      Delete

  3. I went to the William Carter and Dartmouth Typeface exhibit at Baker Library. When I attended this exhibit I found it very interesting how he never attended any college or finished high school and went on to be invited to different colleges to speak at. William left school at sixteen to become a printing apprentice. It is interesting to me how time has changed the different degrees you need to be able to speak at different events or teach at different places. With Mr.Carter never finishes any proper school, only apprenticing, it was interesting seeing someone work his way up in the world. It was also very amazing that he went on to co-own a printing company called the Rampant Lions Printing Company. It was very cool how his company went on and did work for many different publishers. He did an artist and residence with Dartmouth and worked on the Dartmouth Typeface during his time there. William Carter life story is amazing with how he be among a printing apprentice at 16 and then went on to speak at colleges around the world. William was born in 1912 and then died in 2001. His life was very interesting, between creating the Dartmouth Typeface to teaching students, and creating his own printing press William Carter was amazing at what he did, and we can see it all around the Dartmouth campus.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I went to the William Carter and Dartmouth typeface exhibit in the Baker Library at Dartmouth. When I first entered the library I was unsure of where the exhibit was, because it was in cases behind tables. Walking through the exhibit you had to stand in front of where people were sitting, which was awkward. I found it interesting how Carter’s fascination with letters and printmaking started when he was twelve. He was able to create his entire career around something that he discovered at a young age. I thought it was cool how Carter designed plaques for multiple places like Westminster Abbey and Dartmouth. It was really fascinating that when Carter was designing a plaque for Dartmouth college, he created a basis for the Dartmouth typeface. I found it surprising how a college in New Hampshire inspired someone to create a new typeface. From the exhibit I learned that Dartmouth used to have a print shop. When I learned about this it surprised me because it is something that I would not normally think of Dartmouth having. I found it interesting how the typeface wasn’t made for letterpress printing, for a while after it was made. Dartmouth typeface wasn’t made for letterpressing, because it was created in the transitional period between Hot-Metal type to photo setting type. From this presentation I learned that it takes a lot of time to create a typeface. Before I thought it would take less than a year to create a typeface. Carter showed me that it can take many years to create one.

    ReplyDelete